Category: Executive Compensation
Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge & Applications
Audience: HR Managers, Executive Compensation Analysts, Executive Recruiters, Corporate Counsel
Level of Difficulty: Intermediate
Delivery Method: Group Internet-Based
Part I of this series
This three hour webinar series is organized into two-90 minute sessions to provide a comprehensive operating framework for analyzing, reviewing, and explaining complex executive compensation programs. The purpose of the course is to support effective disclosure of compensation in publicly traded company proxy statements using Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. as a case study. The topics covered are organized into four sections: Pay Elements, Analysis, Design, and Management. The content of the comprehensive framework will focus on the following:
- Each pay element in the context of their impact on the overall compensation program: base salary, annual cash incentives, equity awards, health/welfare plans
- Interrelatedness with total rewards and tax treatment
- Best practices, drawing parallels from the Thermo Fisher Scientific executive compensation program
- Process of analyzing the business drivers focusing on business strategy, culture, and competitors
- Process of analyzing compensation program costs focusing on performance measures with emphasis on financial and compensation benchmark data in the context of regression and statistical analysis
- Accounting requirements for determining grant date fair values for equity awards
- Compensation program design approach explaining goal setting, pay mix, relative vs absolute performance, risk balanced pay-for-performance, and stakeholder alignment
- SEC governance requirements in the context of independence and oversight
- Process to effectively implement, communicate and evaluate executive compensation programs
- Understand, explain and effectively select the appropriate pay elements to include in executive compensation programs
- Understand, explain, and appropriately integrate the relevant accounting, tax, and governance requirements put forth by the SEC, FASB, and IRS
- Identify, select and analyze relevant benchmark data for effective executive compensation program alignment
- Understand, explain, and conduct comprehensive assessment of drivers for both business performance and compensation costs
Martin Van Walsum
Martin is Vice President, Executive Compensation for Thermo Fisher Scientific and has over 20 years’ experience working with senior corporate and business unit executives, and board compensation committees. Martin is an active member of WorldAtWork’s teaching faculty; contributing author of Advanced Concepts in Executive Compensation and Principles of Executive Rewards textbooks; foundational faculty member for WorldatWork’s online blended learning seminars.
Matt is the Product Manager for the Executive Compensation Assessor® software at ERI Economic Research Institute. He has an extensive background in econometrics and time series modeling. As Product Manager, he analyzes the design, implementation, and award outcomes of executive compensation packages in organizations of all sizes. Matt also partners with current ERI Subscribers to interpret and provide guidance on the appropriate analytics to address current business problems.
Credit Hours - You must attend for 90 minutes to be eligible:
- PHR/GPHR/SPHR: This webinar has been approved for 1.5 HR recertification credit hours toward PHR®, SPHR®, and GPHR® recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Please be sure to note the activity ID number on your recertification application form. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
The use of this seal is not an endorsement by HRCI of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met HRCI's criteria to be pre–approved for recertification credit.
- CBP/CCP/GRP/WLCP/CECP/CSCP: This webinar qualifies for recertification credit for the Certified Compensation Professional (CCP®), Certified Benefits Professional® (CBP), Global Remuneration Professional (GRP®), Work-Life Certified Professional (WLCP®), Certified Executive Compensation Professional (CECP™) and Certified Sales Compensation Professional (CSCP™) designations granted by WorldatWork Society of Certified Professionals. For more information on recertification, visit the WorldatWork Society recertification webpage at www.worldatworksociety.org/recertification.
- Compensation Tool: You will receive a free demo edition of ERI's Assessor tool including the Executive Compensation Assessor®. This tool has been used by thousands of organizations since 1987.
- Webinar PowerPoint Presentation: All attendees will receive the PowerPoint slideshow for this webinar and may use it in staff training.
- To view and listen to the presentation you need:
- Computer/tablet/phone with browser and internet connection
- Either a phone or computer speakers.
- Adobe Flash Player 13+. You can download Flash if you need it.
- Adobe Connect Mobile for iOS and Android. You can download the free app if you are using a mobile device.
Run this System Test to be sure you can join the webinar.
Supported Operating Systems and Browsers
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Microsoft® Windows 7 or Windows 8
- Windows 10, 8.1 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 8 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 or later; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Adobe® Flash® Player 13+
- 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, 10.10
- Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 13+
- Apple supported devices: iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad with Retina display, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPad mini, and iPod touch (4th & 5th generations)
- Apple supported OS versions summary: iOS 6 and higher
- Android supported devices: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX, Motorola Atrix, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Samsung Galaxy S3 & S4, Nexus 7 tablet
- Android supported OS versions summary: 2.3.4 and higher